Saturday, November 26, 2005

s2e07: The Other 48 Days

I realize I'm a little behind on this, but the day after this episode aired, Drew went out of town for a week and a half, so discussion is sort of curtailed. Anyway, quick notes on this one:

1. I liked that we saw a little more of the Others. Goodwin gave them more of a face than Ethan did last season, though not much of one. I got a little bit of a "Left Behind" vibe off him, though - Nathan was not a good person, so he was killed, but other people (notably the children) were simply taken away. Kind of odd. With other concerns cropping up, I wonder how long it will be before we actually hear from the Others again.

2. Finally, a little humanization of Ana Lucia! Granted, it was right after she shot somebody, but you could see in this one why she was so sensitive to people running out of the jungle at her. I still hate her character, though.

3. I liked that they just opened it the way they did, as if it were another pilot, rather than doing some "previously on Lost" thing that explained why you weren't going to see any of the normal characters this week, as I had expected them to. Good on them for not being predictable.

4. That said, the format of the whole episode was a bit lame. The "Day x" screens were silly, and the slow-mo overlap scenes at the end were cringe-inducingly dumb. I know they had to get back to the present somehow, but couldn't they have skipped a little, or at least done a few new shots and given us something we hadn't already seen?

5. Drew needs to get his ass back from Europe so I can watch s2e08.

No comments: